Are you suffering from hair loss?
Hair loss is a hot topic right now. Since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, a lot of patients are presented with sudden onset hair shedding and thinning. This condition is known as telogen effluvium, a form of hair loss characterized by excessive hair shedding over the entire scalp.
This could be triggered by serious illness, stress, pregnancy, and nutritional deficiency. If you are experiencing hair loss, this could be due to COVID-19 or stress from the pandemic. The interval between the trigger and the shedding may be weeks to a few months.
For further evaluation, the first step is to see a board-certified dermatologist, like Florida’s Dr. Vivian Wong, who is extensively trained in hair loss disorders. There are many causes of hair loss, and sometimes you need further workup or treatment. We have a wide range of treatment options that we could customize to you. A combination of medical therapies and procedures work well for hair loss.
Here is some advice on hair care practices that could help improve hair health:
- Minimize hair brushing, especially when your hair is wet. Your hair is especially prone to physical injury when wet.
- Air dry instead of using a hair dryer. Heat can damage your hairs. When using a hair dryer, use the low heat setting.
- Go for a natural hairstyle. Avoid chemical or heat treatment. Avoid hair extensions or styling that could cause traction on your hair follicle.
- Reduce stress through exercise, meditation, and spending quality time with loved ones.
- Protect your hair and scalp from the sun. Ultraviolet rays can be harmful to your hairs.
If you have further questions about hair loss and hair care, please schedule an appointment at Skin Wellness Physicians. Call us at (239) 732-0044, or send us a message online.